Sunday 15 July 2012

Umm Salamah R.A Sahaba


Umm Salamah! What an eventful life she had! Her actual name was Hind. She was the daughter of one of the notables within the Makhzum clan nicknamed "Zad ar-Rakib" because he was well known for his generosity partlcularly towards travellers. Umm Salamah's husband was Abdullah ibn Abdulasad and they both were among the former fellows towards agree Islam. Only Abu Bakr and a few others, whom could be scored onto the fingers of one hand, became Muslims ahead of them.
As soon as the news of their becoming Muslims transmit, the Quraysh reacted with frenzied anger. They began hounding and persecuting Umm Salamah and her husband. But the pair did not waver or despair and remained steadfast within their novel faith.
The persecution became increasingly intense. Life within Makkah became unbearable for a lot of the novel Muslims. The Prophet, silence be upon him, otherwise provided permission for them towards emigrate towards Abyssinia. Umm Salamah and her husband were within the forefront of these muhajirun, seekers of refuge within a strange land. For Umm Salamah it meant discarding her spacious house and granting up the old-fashioned ties of origin and honour for something newÑhope within the fun and award of Allah.
Despite the safety Umm Salamah and her companions obtained from the Abyssinian king, the yearn towards replace towards Makkah, towards be alongside the Prophet and the cause of relevation and guidance persisted.
News ultimately reached the muhajErun that the number of Muslims within Makkah had increased. Among them were Hamzah ibn Abdulmuttalib and Umar ibn al-Khattab. Their religion had enormously bolstered the settlement and the Quraysh they heard, had eased the persecution somewhat. Thus a category of the muhajErun, cheered via a deep thirst within their hearts, decided towards replace towards Makkah.
The easing of the persecution was but brief as the returnees soon located out. The dramatic increase within the number of Muslims consecutive the receipt of Islam via Hamzah and Umar alone angered the Quraysh even more. They amplified their persecution and torture towards a pitch and intensity not known before. So the Prophet provided permission towards his companions towards emigrate towards Madinah. Umm Salamah and her husband were among the former towards leave.
The hijrah of Umm Salamah and her husband although was not as easy as they had imagined. In fact, it was a sour and painful experience and a notably harrowing one for her.
Let ourselves flee the story already for Umm Salamah herself towards tell . . .
When Abu Salamah (my husband) decided towards flee for Madinah, he rehearsed a camel for me, hoisted me onto it and spaced our son Salamah onto my lap. My husband otherwise took the command and went onto without stopping or waiting for anything. Before we were out of Makkah however a number of men from my clan stagnated ourselves and remarked towards my husband:
"Though you are free towards do what you want with yourself, you possess none power again your wife. She is our daughter. Do you hope ourselves towards allow you towards rob her away from us?"
They otherwise pounced onto him and grabbed me away from him. My husband's clan, Banu Abdulasad, observed them taking both me and my child. They became hot with rage.
"No! By Allah," they exclaimed, "we shall not discard the boy. He is our son and we possess a former allegation again him."
They took him via the hand and heaved him away from me. Suddenly within the space of a few moments, I located myself independently and lonely. My husband toward Madinah via himself and his clan had grabbed my son away from me. My own clan, Banu Makhzum, overpowered me and constrained me towards stay with them.
From the day when my husband and my son were discriminated from me, I went out at noon every day towards that valley and sat at the dot whereas this tragedy occurred. I would recall those horrible moments and cry until night collapsed onto me.
I persisted want this for a year or so until one day a man from the Banu Umayyah traversed via and observed my condition. He went back towards my clan and said:
"Why don't you free this destitute woman? You possess inflicted her husband and her son towards be robbed away from her."
He went onto endeavouring towards melt their hearts and play onto their emotions. At last they remarked towards me, "Go and collaborate your husband whether you wish."
But how could I collaborate my husband within Madinah and flee my son, a chip of my own flesh and blood, within Makkah among the Banu Abdulasad? How could I be free from grief and my eyes be free from tears were I towards extend the site of hijrah not knowing anything of my little son deserted rear within Makkah? Some achieved what I was going across and their hearts went out towards me. They appealed the Banu Abdulasad onto my behalf and transported them towards replace my son.
I did not already even need towards linger within Makkah till I located person towards drift with me and I was concerned that something powers happen that would delay or deter me from ranging my husband. So I quickly got my camel ready, spaced my son onto my lap and deserted within the direction of Madinah.
I had just approximately reached Tan'im (about three miles from Makkah) when I met Uthman ibn Talhah. (He was a keeper of the Ka'bah within preIslamic moments and was not yet a Muslim.)

"Where are you going, Bint Zad ar-Rakib?" he asked.
"I am going towards my husband within Madinah."
"And there isn't anyone with you?"
"No, via Allah. Except Allah and my little boy here."
"By Allah, I shall never discard you until you extend Madinah," he vowed.
He otherwise took the reins of my camel and ruled ourselves on. I possess, via Allah, never met an Arab many sporting and grand than he. When we reached a resting site, he would earn my camel kneel down, wait until I dismounted, command the camel towards a tree and tether it. He would otherwise go towards the shade of another tree. When we had rested he would get the camel ready and command ourselves on.
This he did every day until we reached Madinah. When we got towards a village alongside Quba (about two miles from Madinah) belonging towards Banu Amr ibn Awf, he remarked, "Your husband is within this village. Enter it with the blessings of God. "
He swung back and toward Makkah.
Their routes finally met as soon as the long separation. Umm Salamah was overjoyed towards see her husband and he was joyous towards see his wife and son.
Great and landmark events pursued one as soon as the other. There was the battle of Badr within which Abu Salamah fought. The Muslims replaced winning and strengthened. Then there was the battle of Uhud within which the Muslims were sorely tested. Abu Salamah arrived out of this injured very badly. He appeared at former towards respond well towards counseling, but his hurts never healed completely and he remained bedridden.
Once whilst Umm Salamah was nursing him, he remarked towards her:
"I heard the Messenger of God saying. Whenever a catastrophe afflicts anyone he should say, "Surely from Allah we are and towards Him we shall certainly return." And he would pray, 'O Lord, grant me within replace something nice from it which alone You, Exalted and Mig hty, can give.'"
Abu Salamah remained unwell within bed for numerous days. One morning the Prophet arrived towards see him. The trip was longer than usual. While the Prophet was still at his bedside Abu Salamah traversed away. With his blessed hands, the Prophet finished the eyes of his dead companion. He otherwise elevated these hands towards the heavens and prayed:
"O Lord, grant mercies towards Abu Salamah. Elevate him among those whom are alongside towards You. Take price of his relations at everybody times. Forgive ourselves and him, O Lord of the Worlds. Widen his solemn and earn it light for him."
Umm Salamah remembered the prayer her husband had quoted onto his deathbed from the Prophet and began cycling it, "O Lord, with you I flee this my plight for perspective . . ." But she could not fetch herself towards perpetuate . . . "O Lord grant me something nice from it", because she kept asking herself, "Who could be better than Abu Salamah?" But it did not rob long ahead of she finalised the supplication.
The Muslims were enormously saddened via the plight of Umm Salamah. She became known as "Ayyin al- Arab"Ñ the one whom had forgotten her husband. She had none one within Madinah of her own except her low children, want a hen without feathers.
Both the Muhajirun and Ansar felt they had a obligation towards Umm Salamah. When she had finalised the Iddah (three months and ten days), Abu Bakr offered marriage towards her but she refused. Then Umar asked towards marry her but she also deteriorated the proposal. The Prophe t otherwise contacted her and she replied: "O Messenger of Allah, I possess three characteristics. I am a woman whom is extremely jealous and I am concerned that you shall see within me something that shall anger you and inflict Allah towards punish me. I am a woman whom is already gained within age and I am a woman wh o has a young family."
The Prophet replied:
"Regarding the jealousy you mentioned, I pray towards Allah the Almighty towards lent it go away from you.
Regarding the question of age you possess mentioned. I am afflicted with the equivalent complication as you.
Regarding the dependent relations you possess mentioned, your relations is my family."
They were wed and so it was that Allah resolved the prayer of Umm Salamah and provided her better than Abu Salamah. From that day onto Hind al Makhzumiyah was none longer the mother of Salamah independently but became the mother of everybody believersÑ Umm al-Mu'mineen.

1 comment:

  1. Jazak Allah u khair for your effort. The article is very enlightening. However, the English in many places is grammatically incorrect and at times I had difficulty understanding some points.

    Could you please go through it once again and make corrections where needed. The reader will benefit more from the article in this way.

    ReplyDelete